28 January 2010

Mission to Kandahar (KAF)

Got back from Kandahar on Tuesday afternoon. KAF is actually larger than Bagram in size, but we still have them in total population. Like the rest of this country, it was dirty but with a lot less pollution in the air. I will hand it to NATO though; they know how to bring in the creature comforts.

In addition to the numerous chow halls, each with a different European cuisine, they had a coffee shop that rivals the best Starbucks back home. Incredibly clean. Has Internet service, large flat screen plasma TVs and enough couches for 50 of your closest friends. Almost forgot where I was. I also experienced a few of firsts. One, I've never seen or heard of a TGI Fridays in a combat zone (just opened up two days before we got there). Second, I had to do a double take when I saw the outdoor Canadian ice hockey rink. Wow.

Finally, I worked out at the NATO gym. In order to get in, I had to have a clean pair to running shoes. Imagine having to give your shoes a shower before you worked out. Now walk the 1/2 mile in AF PT shorts, jacket and combat boots (clean shoes in hand). Talk about sexy. Should have taken a pic. Once inside, I surrendered my boots to a counter attendant who promptly put them in a bag and then on a shelf. To their credit, the gym was very clean, with all the latest and greatest workout machines and free weights. Made the commercial gyms back home look like holes in the wall.

All in all is was a good mission. The perks mentioned above made it memorable.


Jenna goes everywhere with me.

Canadian Ice Hockey Rink


Afghan Sept 11th monument in middle of base

On the roof of KAF PMO bldg


1 comment:

  1. I opened the 9/11 memorial to see it larger. The image the shadow of the rock on the wall is powerful. Glad your KAF mission went smoothly! Love you, bro!

    ReplyDelete