03 January 2010

"TASER! TASER! TASER!"

About a month ago I experienced something I will NEVER forget.

Just about everyone involved in law enforcement knows what a Thomas A. Swift's Electric Rifle (TASER) is. So do several unfortunate criminals. Officially classified as a less-than-lethal, pain compliance tool, it is widely used by law enforcement agencies to bring control to chaotic and possible deadly situations without resorting to lethal force. To be certified to carry a TASER, officers must attend an all-day class, pass an exam and "take the ride." While lasting only 5 seconds, the electric jolt surging through your body seems to last an eternity (I locked straight up and felt as if I was going to launch into the ceiling). Incredible pain. Complete loss of muscular and motor skills. Side effects; none. Once the current stops, the pain is gone--but can be reapplied with a simple pull of the trigger as long as the probes are still in. You do, however feel like you have been through and intense full-body workout due to the spontaneous muscle contractions. If it wasn't for the pain, it'd make a great addition to my daily workout routine.

Below is the video of my ride along with a few pics. According to several witnesses, I started to "speak in tongues."

My 5 Second Ride (run twice; buffering might make first run choppy)

TASER fires 2 probes; will penetrate up to a 1/2" into skin, depending on layers of clothing worn.

Bleeder!


Direct hit on my spine (second probe thankfully lodged in my belt).

2 comments: